By Cindy Luis
Only the match with HPU counts in the record. other two were exhibition.
Hawaii 4, HPU 1; Hawaii 5, Chaminade 0; Hawaii 5, HPU/Chaminade 0
The No. 3 University of Hawaii women's sand volleyball team won a trio of dual matches versus Hawai`i Pacific and Chaminade in the Jack In The Box Sand Volleyball Showcase Saturday morning at the Queen's Beach Sandbox.
The Rainbow Wahine started the morning by defeating Hawaii Pacific, 4-1, to up their record to 13-2 on the season with their seventh straight win. UH, which won six straight matches via shutout, dropped its first point during its current win streak due to a medical forfeit by the team of Karlee Riggs and Mikayla Tucker. The pair were leading 8-5 in the first set at the time of the forfeit.
UH then defeated Chaminade, 5-0, and a joint team of Chaminade and Hawai`i Pacific, 5-0, in a pair of exhibition matches to round out the day. The exhibitions provided UH competition for its No. 4 to No. 7 squads and those tandems acquitted themselves with straight set wins in nine of 10 matchups.
The Rainbow Wahine next head to Hermosa Beach, Calif., to compete in the USAV Beach Collegiate Challenge, April 12-13.
No. 3 Hawaii def. Hawaii Pacific, 4-1
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5
1. Sarah Mendoza/Karissa Cook (UH) def. Amanda Moriaty/Samantha Rummans (HPU) 21-14, 21-17
2. Katie Spieler/Nikki Taylor (UH) def. Jamie Asuncsion/Kasey Thompson (HPU) 21-8, 21-9
3. Ali Longo/Ginger Long (UH) def. Haley Doerfler/Kara Wong (HPU) 21-9, 21-16
4. Pomai Recca/Hannah Schuett (HPU) def. Karlee Riggs/Mikayla Tucker (UH) 5-8 (medical forfeit)
5. Hannah Rooks/Tayler Higgins (UH) def. Marie Fujii/Christina Furrer (HPU) 23-21, 21-11
No. 3 Hawai`i def. Chaminade, 5-0 (Exhibition)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5
1. Ali Longo/Ginger Long (UH) def. Valentina Bevilacqua/Kim Spring (CU) 21-12, 21-11
2. Katie Spieler/Mikayla Tucker (UH) def. Darcie Horiuchi/Ku`ulei Lynch (CU) 21-7, 21-9
3. Hannah Rooks/Tayler Higgins (UH) def. Kaua Cale/Kawai Oleole 21-11, 21-13
4. London Chow/Olivia Urban (UH) def. Reigna Johnson/Waihilo Chartrand 21-14, 21-14
5. Sarah Mendoza/Sydney Shinn (UH) def. Athena Maskarich/Cassie Rushlow 19-21, 21-18, 15-4
Hawaii def. Chaminade/HPU(Exhibition)
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2, 3, 5
1. Nikki Taylor/Katie Spieler (UH) def. Valentina Bevilacqua/Kim Spring (CU) 21-13, 21-5
2. Ali Longo/Mikayla Tucker (UH) def. Marie Fujii/Christina Furrer (HPU) 21-8, 21-10
3. Hannah Rooks/Tayler Higgins (UH) def. Haley Doerfler/Kara Wong (HPU) 21-15, 21-5
4. London Chow/Olivia Urban (UH) def. Sophia Blaszyk/Jasmine Fujimoto (HPU) 21-11. 21-4
5. Sarah Mendoza/Sydney Shinn (UH) def. Brenda Walker/Kapiolani Rapoza (CU) 21-10, 21-15